Saturday 31 March 2012

DEPRESSED...NO,SUICIDAL

Dear blog,

  I'm sad. No, depressed. No, suicidal. Because of the Mighty Minds 2012 competition, and a few other factors. But mostly because of Mighty Minds. Fuck man, I really wanted to win that competition!!! To recollect, here's the timeline to....my unfortunate elimination from MM:


Few months ago
My school's Biology teacher approached me and another friend and asked us if we would be interested in joining Mighty Minds 2012. We said yes, since our seniors won first place in the state challenge last year, and that pumped us up for this year's challenge. She also told us to recruit members. Began preparing by reading newspapers, textbooks, reference books, encyclopedia, etc...Members not recruited yet. Eventually slacked off due to laziness, schoolwork, chores, secondary students' duties, etc.

Few weeks ago
Recruited members, 3 guys, 1 girl.  Read about the Melaka leg and began freaking out. Resumed preparations and read Form 5 Bio, Physics,and Chem syllabus in advance. Oh, and also began reading The Star on a daily basis (and I'm talking about those kind of hard-core reading where you read every single article - OK la, politics excluded)

One week ago
Grouped team members into 2 teams. I got put into Team 1. Began intense accumulation of all kinds of facts available.

Today : 7.30 am
Deng deng deng! The day has finally come!! Were told to wait at the school gate at 6.30, but eventually transport came at 7.30 am -.- And the journey to KT begins!

Today : 10 am
Arrived at around 10, and then registered. The 2 lower sec teams of our school were promptly ushered into the first round challenge. One of them passed. Yay!!

Today : 11 am
Time for the upper sec first round challenge. There were 20 questions in total....we got 16 right...which placed us at no.2 for the first round. Hooray! (Not for long though) The questions we didn't get right : the one about Penan musical instruments, one about hockey, the Oscars, and one more question I forgot. I guess we did pretty well in the first round la,  no.2 not too bad, right??!! No?? Well, fuck you. I thought we did pretty well.

Today : Can't remember time
I shall skip describing the hands-on challenge for the lower sec, just can't be bothered to give details. So, moving on to the upper sec which only the top 15 in the first round were eligible (the lower sec and upper sec round 2 challenge were actually carried out simultaneously), we were required to construct : 1. a model of a plasma membrane, and 2. a model of a carrier protein. Wow, were we stumped! Really didn't expect  a challenge like THAT. Yeah so, short story even shorter, our model of the plasma membrane was not very satisfactory. But in my defense,  our model of the carrier protein was pretty darn good!

Oh, and if I may go off a tangent for a sec, there was this good-looking guy at the table next to us, and he was like, really distracting and making me lose focus by exerting his "power of sheer attractiveness", as I'd like to call it. Seriously! You good looking bitches and sons of bitches are so damn distracting. In fact, I'm starting to think that maybe some schools select attractive people to contend so that they could distract their weak-willed competitors from their task at hand. Another reason why attractive people should be decapitated. Ei. Before you accuse me of looking for excuses for my losing the competition, let me clarify something to you all : I AM NOT BLAMING ANYBODY FOR MY LOSS, OK. It's completely my fault for not being able to live up to "creativity" standards, and I take full responsibility for that.

I'm going to forego the timeline format. Ok, so what happens next is that after our model have been completed, all team leaders have to be quarantined and demonstrate and explain the concepts behind our models one by one, without the help of the other team members. Let's just say those were the loneliest minutes that I've ever experienced.

After that was done, we were allowed a toilet break and that was a good thing, cause by then I was so nervous my bladder was about to explode. ANYWAY. When we got back, the top 5 teams that were to proceed to the next round were announced. And lo and behold, good looking guy's team was in. Fuck. Good looking people should not be allowed to be smart! The worst part....my team was not. Dejected, we head home, and on the way home, we discussed about how unfair it is that good looking people could be so good looking AND smart.

So yeah, that's pretty much how the competition went. Now I'm sitting in front of my computer and listening to Glee's We Are Young. You know you've hit the lowest pit of devastation and self-pity when you sit in front of your computer to blog about how attractive people should not be smart (which I am doing) instead of trying to figure out what went wrong with your model. Oh, it also adds to the woe-is-me effect if you listen to self-help songs and sing to them at the same time. I plan on burning our model while playing the song We Are Young (the line so lets set the world on fire,we can burn brighter than the sun is scarily appropriate for this) but unfortunately, my teammates had other plans. They plan to keep it for sentimental value, something which I don't understand.


Girls!! How does it feels like to have your heart broken by a guy? I've never experienced that kind of sadness before (in fact I've always scorned at women crying over lost loves) but right now I feel like my heart's breaking. I feel like I've been dumped. By Mighty Minds 2012. That bad meh? Yes, it is THAT bad. Like I've said, I have no idea what it's like to lose a guy, but right now, that's what I'm feeling. My heart is breaking into two. Don't be dramatic la. YOU don't be unsympathetic, you know how much effort I've put into this competition?! Haiz. How long does it take for a broken heart to heal arh? Hopefully tomorrow nobody asks about this in school. It's bad enough that my seniors won 3rd place in the Nationals, that adds to the utter humiliation and disappointment of not being able to let my school's legacy live on.


-END-





No comments:

Post a Comment